Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Running on Empty

As my family loves to remind me, I don't have an athletic bone or (muscle) in my body! In a few months I will be 50, so my husband and I had a brilliant idea to join a program with a personal trainer and train as a couple. Now remember the only weights I have ever lifted are the 5 lb bags of sugar and flour at Stop and Shop, and then I needed help carrying them up the stairs when I got home. Nate, our trainer, began our 1st session to see where we were at. I don't know a curl (cheese curls) from a crunch (Nestles). Multiple times Nate has had to spot me from tipping over onto my behind, correct my stance and reposition the weights so I can breathe.
He is a wonderful, patient young man who probably can't wait for me to leave! After completing 3 sessions I am unable to climb stairs, sit down, or lift a fork comfortably to my mouth. I am beginning to think that my husband has increased my Life Insurance policy because I am convinced Nate is trying to kill me. I have yet to see the purpose of this program as I complain constantly, but I am determined to conquer at least the 8 lb weights. Nate did mention that he knew he was in trouble when I arrived in my pink sneakers, pink tee shirt and bracelets. Eventually I may show up dressed in black with matching weight lifting gloves and The Rocky theme blaring in the background.The most difficult thing is that we keep a journal of what we eat. Even if you are craving potato chips you don't dare eat them because Nate is watching. I am suddenly dreaming about Crispy Creame Donuts, McDonalds, and hot fudge sundaes. A simple lesson from all of this is don't wait until you're 50 to begin an exercise program, and remember to always struggle with the 3 lb weights because if Nate thinks it's too easy he'll quickly bump you up to 8 lbs!

1 comment:

K said...

Moms, awakening the latent writer! Respect.